A few weeks ago, theknot.com put together a list of crazy color combinations that "actually work". I was expecting unusual color combinations. For example, my friend is going to be in a wedding where the colors are orange and teal. I don't mean to offend anyone who likes/is using/had used this combo, I'm sure that with the right shades of each it probably looks nice. Who knows, maybe I just don't have a good eye for color. I like orange and sure, I don't mind teal, but I can't imagine what they look like together. And as a result, I'm a little skeptical of this particular combo. Anyway, I was thinking that combinations like orange and teal were going to be on this list because it's not overly popular, it sounds crazy (in the sense of, what does teal go with?) and maybe it "actually works"?
What would you expect to see on a list that is called "20 crazy color combos that actually work"?
Well, I can tell you what I wasn't expecting: I was not expecting to see some of my favorite combos. For example, yellow and blue (which they called "sunflower and sea glass blue") or purple and pink (which they called "eggplant and gobstopper pink") or yellow and baby pink ("canary and cotton candy pink"). To me, the names of the colors are crazy. Is this the way wedding colors are labeled? Or colors in general? Why?!? What happened to the basic color names? And if I have to learn what these obscure names are, how the heck am I ever going to choose a color combo? Okay, nevermind the color names, back to the point of this post...
...As I was scrolling through the different combinations, I came across my absolute FAVORITE color combination...
...wait for it...
Yes, that's right: pink and green! Or "bubblegum and grassy green", as they called it. Can you believe that?!? When did pink and green become a "crazy color combination that actually works"? Again, I think it has more to do with the names of the actual shade of pink and green. Afterall, there are many different shades of pink and green and perhaps when picking colors for an event like a wedding the exact shade matters. Still I was not expecting to see a lot of the combos on that list because to me they don't seem all that "crazy".
I guess the good news is that the combo I like and want to use actually does work, so thank you to theknot.com for making this explicitly clear. I now feel much more confident in choosing these as my colors, not that I ever doubted that they would work well together.
Oh, and in case you were wondering, orange and teal were not on the list, not even under weird alternate names. I don't know if it means that it's a "crazy color combo that does not work" or if it's not a crazy color combo at all. Who knows? If you want to see what other color combinations work, go here to check out the list.
Despite my disagreement about the craziness of the color combos featured, it was actually cool to see photographs from real weddings that used these colors and it was nice seeing what worked. And while we haven't made it official yet, I have a feeling we'll probably be using some shade of bright pink and green (very appropriate for our summertime wedding) as our colors. :)
<3,
M

After writing this post, felt bad about being skeptical/doubtful about an orange/teal combo. So I googled the color combo to see what would come up. To my pleasant surprise, I found some very pretty inspiration boards. I'd like to point out, however, that what many of the inspiration boards were labeling as "teal" actually looked turquoise to me. I am a BIG fan of turquoise, so of course I liked the combo. What I want to know is, when someone says they are using teal as a color, do they actually mean teal or do they mean turquoise? These are two different colors, so I find it confusing that the labels seem to be used interchangeably.
ReplyDelete